How will I use Hangouts in Stage 5 of the Writing Process for Publishing, Producing and/or Reporting?
What are Hangouts on Air?
With Hangouts On Air, you can host and broadcast live discussions and performances to the world through your Google+ Home page and YouTube channel. You can also edit and share a copy of the broadcast. As a participant, you can join Hangouts On Air from your computer. This is a great tool for students to share their research findings or writing to an authentic audience.
Here is the team from Google Work again with some tips about Google apps and how to access On Air Broadcasts and Hangouts
Or you can read about how to start a Hangout from the folks from Google
You can start a Hangout On Air right away or schedule one in advance using Google+ event. By scheduling your Hangout On Air, you can send your audience to the event before your broadcast begins and set up a custom trailer too so that they can learn more about it.
Start or schedule a Hangout On Air with an event page:
- Go to Hangouts On Air.
- Click Start a Hangout On Air.
- Create a name and a description in the first two boxes.
- Choose a start time:
- Choose Now to start the Hangout On Air immediately after you create the event page.
- Choose Later and fill in the date and time for when you want your Hangout On Air to start.
- Choose your audience: This is the audience that can see the Google+ event page. For maximum reach, “Public” is recommended. Adding specific people and circles ensures they receive a notification. If you don’t want your Hangout On Air to be widely publicized, you can also make your event unlisted.
- Click Share to schedule your Hangout On Air.
People can RSVP to your Hangout On Air through the event page and view on multiple devices.
Upload a video or an image
Once your event page has been created, you can add a video or image as a custom trailer for your Hangout On Air. If you don’t add one, your users will see a countdown clock to the event.
To add a custom video, click Add a trailer and add a YouTube video by either searching, entering a YouTube URL, or selecting a video already uploaded to your YouTube account.
To add a custom image, click Add a trailer and add an image.
Collect audience questions before your Hangout On Air starts
You can turn on the Q&A app from the event page to gather questions from the audience before your Hangout On Air starts and answer them during the broadcast. When you start the Hangout On Air, open the Q&A app to see the list of questions asked.
Start broadcasting your scheduled Hangout On Air
- Go to your Hangout On Air event in your Google+ events page.
- Click Start in your event.
- Invite your participants.
- Click Start Broadcast to go live.
Once you start your Hangout On Air, you can also add more features and apps to your Hangout On Air.
Practice Hangouts on Air during your collaboration or Monday meetings.
Ways to Use Hangouts on Air in Teaching and Learning
Common Core Integration
Use technology, including the Internet, to produce and publish writing and to interact and collaborate with others.
Gather relevant information from multiple print and digital sources, assess the credibility and accuracy of each source, and integrate the information while avoiding plagiarism.