How will I use Google Sites in Stage 5 of the Writing Process for Publishing, Producing and/or Reporting?
What are Google Sites?
Google Sites is a structured wiki- and web page-creation tool offered by Google as part of the Google Apps productivity suite. The goal of Google Sites is for anyone to be able to create a team-oriented site where multiple people can collaborate and share files.
Ways to Use Google Sites in Teaching and Learning
Google Sites is a great tool for creating webpages. It is in fact a wiki, blog, portfolio, all rolled into one easy to use package. Google Sites brings together all of the other great Google services in that it allows users to embed Google Docs, Calendar, YouTube, Picasa albums, and much more.
Types of pages in Google Sites
As a prospective user of Google Site you need to get yourself familiar with the following terminology :
- Dashboard : A Two column webpage with four placeholder gadgets that helps users get started creating an overview of information or embed gadgets
- Webpage : This is a simple and basic page where users can put their content or embed their gadgets
- File Cabinet : This is where users can upload and share files. It allows you to create folders
- Announcements : this section lets you add recent announcements to your page
- List : This is where you can create to-do lists or assignment lists.
Ways Students Can Use Google Sites
- They can use it to create digital portfolios to feature their work and achievements
- Collaborate on group projects
- They can use it to present their findings on a particular research subject. They can include docs they have created, videos, links and many more
Choices for creating your Google Site
- Use this CVUSD created template (click on template when the new window opens)
- Browse the gallery for a template click on Browse the gallery for more ideas
- Create a Blank Template and see what happens.
Here are some video tutorials on how to create and use a Google Site for your class.
There are a lot of other great Google Site tutorials found on youtube.com.
Basics of of Creating a Google Site for Students-Great Project Idea
Common Core Integration
Use technology, including the Internet, to produce and publish writing and to interact and collaborate with others.
Gather relevant information from multiple print and digital sources, assess the credibility and accuracy of each source, and integrate the information while avoiding plagiarism.